Greta Thunberg quotes are powerful, they are profound, and they are changing the course of history. At only 17 years of age, she is bringing attention and activism to one of the most importance causes of our time: climate change.
A Swedish citizen, Greta Thunberg has claimed global attention for her role as a climate change champion. Greta’s started protesting climate change by organizing school strikes in her native country , but they soon blossomed into a worldwide movement. Today, Greta Thunberg’s activism takes her all over the world.
Below are 50 of Greta’s most powerful and profound quotes about climate change that will change the way you think, forever.
As you read these Greta Thunberg quotes, ask yourself, how can I act on these? And remember, share them with you friends and followers, because change will only happen if we all participate.
Top 50 Greta Thunberg Quotes
1. You have stolen my dreams and my childhood with your empty words. And yet I’m one of the lucky ones. People are suffering. People are dying. Entire ecosystems are collapsing. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you!
2. It’s sometimes annoying when people say, ‘Oh, you children are the hope, you will save the world.’ It would be nice if you could help a little.
3. Our house is still on fire. Your inaction is fueling the flames by the hour.
4. We are striking because we have done our homework, and they have don’t.
5 .I will instead let them know change is coming whether they like it or not.
6. I don’t really like being in the center of attention. I’m not used to that. All my life I have been like the invisible girl at the back that no one sees or listens to.
View this post on Instagram
7. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change.
8. You say you love your children above all else and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.
9. I believe that once we start behaving as if we were in an existential crisis, then we can avoid a climate and ecological breakdown. But the opportunity to do so will not last for long. We have to start today.
10. Nothing has been done to tackle the climate crisis. Our leaders are failing us.
11. We have to understand the emergency of the situation. our leadership has failed us. young people must hold older generations accountable for the mess they have created. we need to get angry, and transform that anger into action.
12. When haters go after your looks and differences, it means they have nowhere left to go… and then you know you’re winning.
13. Some say we should not engage in activism.
14. By panic I don’t mean panic, but to step outside your comfort zone because the planet is outside its comfort zone. I want people to become aware of the crisis.
15. We (need to) start listening to the science and that we actually start treating this crisis as the crisis it is.
16. You say you love your children above all else and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.
17. We cannot solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis. And if solutions within the system are so impossible to find, then maybe we should change the system itself.
18. You said you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.
19. Just unite behind the science. I’m not the one who’s saying these things. I’m not the one who we should be listening to. And I say that all the time. I say we need to listen to the scientists.
20. I have learned you are never too small to make a difference.
21. I have a special interest. It’s very common that people on the autism spectrum have a special interest.
22. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction and all you can talk about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth. How dare you?
23. This is the biggest crisis humanity has ever faced. This is not something you can like on Facebook.
24. We are going to change the fate of humanity, whether you like it or not.
25. Nothing really was happening in my life. I have always been that girl in the back who doesn’t say anything. I thought I couldn’t make a difference because I was too small.
26. If you still say that we are wasting valuable lesson time, then let me remind you that our political leaders have wasted decades through denial and inaction.
27. I don’t want your hope. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I do. Every day. And want you to act. I want you to behave like our house is on fire. Because it is.
View this post on Instagram
28. Why should we study for a future that is being taken away from us? We demand a safe future. Is that really too much to ask?
29. You say you love your children above all else, and yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes.
30. Until you start focusing on what needs to be done rather than what is politically possible, there is no hope. We can’t solve a crisis without treating it as a crisis. We need to keep the fossil fuels in the ground, and we need to focus on equity. And if solutions within the system are so impossible to find, maybe we should change the system itself.
31. Right here, right now is where we draw the line. The world is waking up. And change is coming, whether you like it or not.
32. I don’t see myself as a leader, or icon, or the face of a movement.
33. We can’t save the world by playing by the rules, because the rules have to be changed. Everything needs to change – and it has to start today.
34. Some people say that the climate crisis is something we have all created. But that is just another convenient lie. Because if everyone is guilty then no one is to blame.
35. The climate is not going to collapse because some party got the most votes. The politics that’s needed to prevent the climate catastrophe—it doesn’t exist today. We need to change the system, as if we were in crisis, as if there were a war going on.
36. I think it is insane that people are gathered here to talk about the climate and they arrive here in private jets.
37. The eyes of all future generations are upon you. And if you choose to fail us, I say – we will never forgive you.
38. Some say I should be in school. But why should any young person be made to study for a future when no-one is doing enough to save that future? What is the point of learning facts when the most important facts given by the finest scientists are ignored by politicians?
39. We live in a strange world […] where celebrities, film and pop stars who have stood up against all injustices will not stand up for our environment and for climate justice because that would inflict on their right to fly around the world visiting their favorite restaurants, beaches and yoga retreats.
40. We are in the beginning of a mass extinction.
41. I don’t want you to be a hopeful. I want you to panic and actually act.
42. We showed that we are united and that we, young people, are unstoppable.
43. This is not a one-time thing; this is our entire future.
44. Our house is on fire. I am here to say, our house is on fire.
45. We need to get angry and understand what is at stake. And then we need to transform that anger into action and to stand together united and just never give up.
46. Climate change is forcing people to flee their homes as flood and storms and heat and fire increase.
47. If a few children can get headlines all over the world just by not going to school, then imagine what we could all do together if we really wanted to.
View this post on Instagram
48. We don’t just want promises, and we’ve heard a lot. We want you to act.
49. We don’t want these things done by 2050, 2030 or even 2021. We want this done now.
50. I will not beg the world leaders to care for our future. I will instead them let them know change is coming whether they like it or not.
Are there more Greta Thunberg quotes that should be added? Share them in the comments below and we’ll include them too!